Monday 30 March 2020

LIFE IN ISOLATION 4

The last few days have felt quite intense. The beginning of the week felt somewhat novel, adjusting to a new routine (or lack thereof), the end brought with it a realisation that this new reality could be ours for several months now and we have no control over it. On Wednesday the government made an announcement about self employment support and I learnt I wasn't eligible. I didn't think I was particularly attached to the outcome but as soon as I heard the words "we are unable to help you" in relation to people who became self employed post April 2019, I burst into tears.

The announcement brought with it a layer of vulnerability that I had so far managed to shake off and I've spent the latter part of the week feeling a bit unstuck. I haven't really wanted to go for my walks  but one thing I've learnt is that I always feel a lot better when I've been outside. The marina at golden hour on Saturday was beautiful, if once again a bit surreal with people in masks and moving to the far side of the path to keep the mandated 2m apart.



I feel like the tone of this blog is so sombre but there are lots of positive things happening too. I spent a lot of time this weekend on houseparty talking to friends with wine (or with tea depending on the time zone I've been speaking to!) Technology has been amazing for keeping us connected. My parents spent all week last week working on a YouTube channel and on Sunday my Mum live streamed her first service. We have set up a food bank collection point outside our front door and every day we are finding donations outside. It's amazing to see how the community is pulling together. 




No comments:

Post a Comment