Wednesday 25 March 2020

LIFE IN ISOLATION 2

After I wrote in here yesterday, I went for my 'daily exercise' which was a walk by the river. It's weird going for a walk when you know it's your one and only chance to get outside for the day. You don't want to waste the opportunity by coming home to early, but you're not sure how long you're meant to be out for.

I actually got to leave the house for a second time later that day as a vulnerable neighbour needed some shopping collecting from Co-Op so I collected it and left it at her door. Afterwards I facetimed with my sister who has been self-isolating now for 9 days as she had mild symptoms early last week. She feels better now but has no sense of taste or smell - there are reports that is now associated with Covid-19. 

I listened to a podcast yesterday which talked about the idea of 'secular immortality' which is where humans accumulate wealth or possessions to prove to themselves they're alive. This happened after 9/11 and behavioural scientists are contemplating whether this will happen again once this is over, it would mean a spike in purchasing of houses, cars etc. 

This morning I woke up feeling like I wanted to exercise so I tried a youtube workout. I completed the warm up and then I was too exhausted/mentally checked out to carry on so I sunbathed on my yoga mat. I seem to be finding it difficult to concentrate on any one thing for a long period of time, so I am experimenting with the idea of just going with the flow and doing what I feel like doing when I feel like doing it. I think this period of isolation would be a lot easy with a day job to do, but all my leads for freelance work dried up over the last few weeks unsurprisingly and there is only so much time I can spend a per day sending ~networking~ online and sending e-mails out into the ether. I edited a post on my professional website yesterday and I do intend to start posting more over there when it feels right. It feels a bit odd thinking about or writing about sustainable fashion at the moment, so I need to work out how I'm going to tackle it.

Edit: I went for my daily walk this afternoon and it felt so eerie and surreal. There were hardly and cars on the road and I walked past loads of closed down businesses. Still it was reassuring to see people are doing what the government has asked. In other good news, the government asked for 250,000 volunteers and over 400,000 people responded!


No comments:

Post a Comment