Tuesday 7 April 2020

LIFE IN ISOLATION 6

Went out to the supermarket this week and it was a strange experience, although much calmer than I was expecting. We went to Sainsbury's this time, it's a huge superstore so plenty of room to social distance. Dad drove but only one person per family can go into the store so I did the shop (which was fine as I wouldn't have let him to go inside anyway). The floors are marked with tape at 2m intervals to help people stay distant from each other and everyone was calmly shopping in silence inside. That's something I've noticed about social distancing, people forget we can still talk! There's no music in the store anymore just repeated announcements reminding everyone that are not allowed to buy more than 3 of anything or more than 2 of selected items like toilet paper, eggs and flour. Most products are now in stock but there are noticeable gaps and empty shelves in some places.



The weather was beautiful yesterday and I feel very lucky to be in a semi-rural area where I can go out for a walk and barely come into contact with anyone. There is also a really nice community spirit here and it's been inspiring to see the creative ways people are finding to connect with each other.


I've read a few posts about 'how to cope' in isolation and most centre around having a routine and getting dressed like you would normally do and I'd like to say, I'm not doing either of those. I'm living in yoga pants and t-shirts the majority of the time and occasionally I put my dungarees on when I feel like wearing 'clothes' but its a permanent dress down day around here. I did put on a bit of make up over the weekend which was a nice change, but largely I am making only a minor effort and that suits me quite well! As for routine, it's pretty hard to stick to when you're not working, although this week I'm going to try and spend a couple of hours each morning on work related projects and make sure I do some kind of movement every day. Movement definitely helps me whether its yoga or going for a walk. I've been practising with my favourite teacher Jonelle on Movement for Modern Life which really grounds me and gives me a dose of familiarity and on my walks I choose a podcast to listen to which is great for getting out of my head. I was recommended the new episode of How to Fail with Elizabeth Day interviewing Alain Botton and it is simply the most uplifting, amazing and comforting thing I have heard throughout this whole lockdown experience. In fact, I'm halfway through listening to it for the second time. Listen to it here. (Also recommend both Mo Gawdat episodes for a moving, brave and refreshing insight into happiness and grief).

No comments:

Post a Comment